Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cetaphil Gentle Daily Skin Cleanser


I purchased this honking huge 16 fl oz bottle from Superstore for approximately $15 CDN. All across the board, however, you can purchase this in varying sizes from anywhere between $4 and $18 CDN. I purchased mine in the "normal to dry skin" formula, however there is a "normal to oily skin" formula as well.

The cleanser comes in varying sizes: 2 fl oz (itty bitty travel size), 8 fl oz, 16 fl oz, and to my surprise, 20 fl oz in select locations!

Cetaphil claims that this cleanser will "not strip the skin of natural protective oils or emollients, or disturb the skin’s natural pH balance." It is non-comedogenic (it won't clog your pores!!), fragrance free, and is dermatologist recommended.

I initially tried out the Cetaphil Gentle Daily Skin Cleanser in the 2 fl oz, travel sized bottle from London Drugs. I wanted to get an idea of how well the cleanser would work with my skin, and whether or not it was something I wanted to purchase in the larger size next time. The small bottle lasted me around two weeks - I didn't use a lot of it each time, and there was a lot in the bottle - the small size is deceptive!

The large bottle is extremely sturdy and functional, and features a pump dispenser, so you don't need to fuss with opening a cap. The pump does not dispense too much or too little product, but just the right amount - about a quarter-sized amount of product. The packaging is sleek enough that one could leave it on a vanity or bathroom counter, and not worry about it being an eyesore for company.

While the cost is a little steep for this product, the 16 fl oz bottle will last you FOREVER. My first big bottle lasted me somewhere between 5 and 6 months, using it everyday. So it's definitely not a budget breaker in the long haul. But for those who don't want to dish out that much money right away, I recommend starting with the 2 fl oz bottle (just to try) or even the 8 fl oz bottle - these are definitely more cost-effective options if you're wanting to try the product out without investing almost $20 for a product you've never used.

I use this both as a makeup remover and as a cleanser for my skin. I use it once a day (in the evening) to remove my eye and face makeup. Each night, I take one pump of the cleanser on a wet facecloth and use it to remove the makeup from one of my eyes. Then I take another pump and clean off the other eye. I take one final pump and dot it around my face, and use the washcloth to clean off every last bit of makeup. Whatever the cleanser does not remove (that being very little), comes off with my toner.

I feel that the cleanser is an excellent makeup remover, gentle enough for use every day - even twice a day if you like to wash your face that frequently. This formula is gentle enough to use around your eyes - it does not burn or sting. Upon cleansing my face, it leaves a light residue that is easily removed with toner, or absorbed into the skin for extra hydration. It does not strip your skin of moisture or dry it out, nor does it leave excess product on your face.

The only problem I have with it is that it does not remove waterproof mascara - however, it being the gentle cleanser that it is, I did not have high expectations in that regard.

The cleanser does not clog my pores or make my skin feel heavy with product. I have had no breakouts as a result of the introduction of this product into my skincare regimine, nor have I had excessive drying, peeling, or flaking as a result.

I absolutely adore this cleanser, as it does the job, while still being gentle enough to use on the eyes. It's definitely worth the cost, though I wish it didn't empty my wallet nearly as quickly...

5 out of 5 stars.
* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment