Friday, December 30, 2011

NARS Sheer Glow Foundation

I bought this 1 oz bottle at my local Sephora for $42 CDN. It is available for purchase at Sephora stores, www.sephora.com and anywhere NARS products are sold.


My 'winter' shade is the lightest available Siberia; my 'summer' shade is Fiji. Siberia is the lightest shade available out of 15 shades. Siberia is "light with neutral balance of pink and yellow undertones." Fiji is the fifth lightest shade available. It is "light with yellow undertones."

This is a liquid foundation marketed toward normal, normal-to-dry, dry, and very dry skin types. As evident by the name "Glow," this is a dewy satin-finish foundation. It is not shimmery or glittery, but leaves the skin with an obvious radiant, luminous sheen. This would not be an ideal foundation for those with oily skin, as it will exacerbate the shininess of the oily zones on the face.

Also evident by the name, this is a sheer, light-weight foundation with buildable coverage. It is marketed as having a weightless finish by enhancing, without masking, one's natural complexion. It claims to hydrate the skin while improving skin's radiance, brightness and texture.

I personally adore this foundation. Mostly because it's the best match for my skin I've ever found. Because I am so pale, it's nearly impossible for me to find a perfect match for my skin tone. I have pink and yellow undertones, and it's very difficult for me to find a foundation that's a combination of both.

The square bottle is made of a heavy frosted glass. There is a black velvety square cap that sits loosely on top of a smaller circular cap. The large square cap is just for aesthetics - it proves to inhibit the safe and secure sealing of the bottle, so I recommend just popping the square lid off and leaving the smaller circular one on to cap off the bottle. I have had one too many close calls with keeping the square lid on to make the bottle 'look pretty,' and having the cap loosely screwed on and almost losing valuable product this way. Also, this foundation does not have a pump - it would be so much more convenient and efficient to have a pump dispenser instead of having to pour the foundation out of the bottle opening.

I got matched for this foundation by one of the Sales Associates at Sephora. She did a beautiful job of matching my skin tone and showing me how to use the foundation appropriately.

I apply this foundation with a couple of apparatuses. First, and my favorite method, with a damp 'beauty blender' egg sponge. I don't have the 'real' Beauty Blender egg, but a knock off that I purchased for $10 at London Drugs. I dot the foundation around my face, and use the sponge to stipple the foundation. The damp nature of the sponge allows for an even, sheer application of foundation - I am able to build the coverage if I so desire, without making the foundation look cakey or streaky. My second favorite method is with the use of the Quo Precision Foundation Kabuki brush. Once again, I dot the foundation around my face, and buff into the skin with circular motions. This method allows for a little more coverage than the previous method, but also prevents streaking and cakiness.

The foundation feels so weightless and light on my skin, it's very hydrating. It does not aggravate my dry patches, but it can cling to them and make them somewhat more noticeable depending on the severity of the dry patch.

The coverage is really nice. It goes on fairly sheer - enough to even out one's skin tone. It is buildable though. One can go from sheer to medium coverage with a couple of light layers of foundation. It is definitely not for those who desire a full coverage face full of 'paint.'

In regards to its longevity, this foundation holds up pretty well. It's not infallible, however, and with exertion, sweat, and time, the foundation will exhibit signs of wear. Most of my wear is on my t-zone - the oiliest parts of my face; this wear can be reduced, however, by setting my foundation with a powder. It lasts better than your average drugstore foundation, but it's not outstandingly long lasting.

I LOVE this foundation. It gives me a natural looking finish with sheer coverage on a 'good skin' day, and a medium-coverage flawless finish on a 'could-be-better' skin day - a radiant glow from within my foundation. It doesn't overly cling to dry patches or aggravate my dry skin. It's hydrating, smooths the appearance of my skin, brightens and evens out my complexion. And best of all, I've found matches for my skin tone.

One of the downsides is the cost. $42 for a bottle of foundation is not an easy pill to swallow, by any means. But the foundation goes a long way, and the bottle lasts me quite a while. I've had my bottle of Siberia for over a year now, and I still haven't made it halfway through.

I would definitely recommend checking this foundation out - especially if you are normal to very dry skin and want sheer to medium coverage. If you have the money to drop on trying this product out, it's a definite must have. There is a decent range of shades - something for everyone, for every combination of undertone :)

Because of the issues with packaging and the price, I wouldn't go so far as to give this a 5/5 for stars, but it is an amazing product and definitely worth the hefty price tag. So...

4 out of 5 stars, it is!
* * * *

Have you tried this foundation? Do you love it? Do you hate it?
I've also heard that the Neutrogena Healthy Skin foundation is a dupe for this. Would you agree/disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment