Friday, December 30, 2011

Quo by Orly Nail Polish in "First Class"

I received this nail polish as a gift from my beautiful sister for Christmas, however, these do retail for $10 CDN per bottle, unless you can find them on sale. As far as I'm aware, these are only sold at Shoppers Drug Mart stores in Canada.


Now, I love Orly nail polishes. I absolutely adore them. I don't have that many, but they are funtabulous. They are highly pigmented, high shine, fast drying, formaldehyde free bottles of wonderful-ness. Currently, my collection consists of: Sweet Peacock, Butterflies, Secret Admirer, Rockin Rockette, and Pure Petunia. Now that may not seem like many, but it's enough to give me a good idea of how good (or bad) a brand can be - in general. I was extremely excited, needless to say, to see that Quo and Orly had teamed up to produce a line of nail polishes available to Canadians.

First Class is an almost light rose gold polish in the bottle, but a beautiful pink champagne color on your nails. This is slightly disappointing for me as I was looking forward to a rose gold color to add to my collection, but after I applied it - my disappointment immediately dissipated and I was left in pure joy and ecstasy. The color is very shimmery, in between frosty and just bordering on glittery - but definitely not in a bad way. If this was a 'frosty' polish instead of a shimmery one, I would have been incredibly disappointed. The shimmer is noticeable up close, but from a distance appears more metallic than anything. It is a beautiful, classy color, but definitely adds a certain 'pizzazz' to any outfit.

With Flash. I'm wearing Orly Sweet Peacock on my ring finger.

Without Flash. I'm wearing Orly Sweet Peacock on my ring finger.

The formula is not at all streaky, despite the finish of the polish. The application is smooth, and is perfectly opaque in two thin or thick coats (what have you). It dries exceptionally quickly - as most Orly polishes do - which makes manicures-on-the-go a breeze!

I added Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat over two coats of First Class but I found that the shine didn't really pick up that well over the shimmery gorgeousness of the pink champagne color. Which is completely fine by me, haha.

As far as wearing time goes, because this is a shimmery polish, the wear-time is a lot longer than your average creme finish. There is wear at the tips of my nails, depending on how much torture I decide to put my nails through that day - but no chipping or obvious stress marks that make you want to remove your polish and start your manicure anew.

Removing this polish is quite easy despite the shimmer. It comes off more easily than your average shimmer/glitter nailpolish, and doesn't leave stray sparkles everywhere that you have to wash off - there is a bit of runaway shimmer, but definitely not as much as others. And the color does not stain your nails.

I would need to dip my toe in and try a few more of these polishes (different textures and colors) before I could make a conclusive statement on the quality of the Quo by Orly brand, but so far I'm loving First Class and if it's any indication of how the rest of the collection is - I am sure I won't be disappointed.

My only complaint, obviously, is the steep price tag. At $10 a pop, it's not likely that I'll be buying up any more of these polishes any time soon. It's just a matter of waiting for a sale or cashing in my Optimum points *sigh* why must you be so dang expensive, my pretties!?!

If you get a chance, please try this color out!! It is a must have for every nail polish junkie!! In my rather extensive escapades in nail polish, I have never found a color quite like this one. Let me know what you think if you've tried this color, or if you've sampled any of the other Quo by Orly polishes!

5 out of 5 stars - DEFINITELY!!
* * * * *

I will definitely be rockin' this color on my nails for New Years. What color will you be wearing on your nails for New Years??

No comments:

Post a Comment