Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum



Seen above: Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum

This 150 mL (5.1 fl. oz.) bottle will run you about $24.99 CDN. Or at least, that's how much it cost me at my local London Drugs.

The bottle is made of transparent plastic, with a green pump on top. The pump head can be turned to the left or to the right to control the amount of product ejected, as well as to stop the pump from dispensing product - which is especially handy for travel purposes.

The product claims to "smooth, condition and seal your strands." It's supposed to "leave hair smooth, shiny and frizz-free in any weather," and "speed up drying so you get silky smooth results in less time." The website boasts that their "exclusive Super Skinny® Complex penetrates deep into hair to displace water and constrict hair for speedy drying and styling. Lightweight silicones smooth, condition and seal hair with added shine."

I initially invested in this product after reading rave reviews about it on Makeup Alley and other blogs online. My hair was screaming for some smoothing, and this seemed like the product to do it - or so everyone made it seem.

The clear, runny serum smells like a salon and watermelons all tossed together. It's absolutely delicious. I only wish the scent lingered on my hair after application. So for those people who aren't crazy about the scent, or just aren't into having their hair all scented, don't worry - the smell doesn't last past the bottle.

The bottle warns that the product is 'very concentrated,' therefore, you should be aware that it takes a very small amount to work through your hair. For my hair I take anywhere between 1/2 a pump and a whole pump, rub it between my hands, and starting at my ends, work the product up towards my roots. Note: this product should only be applied to damp, towel-dried hair.

Because my hair is layered, I have to work the product close to my scalp to get all of my ends covered - however, I have not found that this product leaves my hair greasy looking or limp, as some other smoothing products have the tendency of doing.

As for the claims - I have noticed that my hair dries significantly faster when I use this product. Blow drying takes less time than it used to - not enough that it's "miraculous" but just enough that it's noticeable. I have not tried this product while air drying my hair, so I couldn't speak to the speediness of the product in that respect, though I imagine it has a similar effect.

My hair is infinitely smoother, with less fly-aways. And there is an added 'healthy' shine and softness to my red locks.

The shine that this serum infuses in one's hair is not greasy looking or heavy, weighing down your hair; or at least, it isn't for me. Perhaps if you were to use too much product or use too much of it near your roots, you would achieve the "I-haven't-showered-in-a-week" look, but otherwise, it gives your hair a healthy appearance - like you've been getting all of your vitamins, veggies, fruits and water.

At the rate that one would use this product, the bottle will last you forever. It definitely pays for itself over time, so despite the hefty price tag, it's worth the investment, if you're willing to try it.

Personally, I adore this product. My hair has never looked so healthy or felt this smooth in my entire life. The added bonuses are that it lasts forever and cuts back on your drying time. My only wish is that the scent clung to my hair a little bit more, however, it's not a deal breaker for me. I can now see why there is so much hype over this product.

I definitely recommend this to you if you're wanting smoother, shinier, conditioned (looking) hair. This product definitely delivers on its promises, and then some!

5 out of 5 stars.
* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment