Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Maybelline New York Unstoppable Eyeliner in Espresso


This retails for about $8 CDN, but (depending on where you buy it) you can find it from anywhere between $7 and $9. You can purchase this from wherever Maybelline cosmetics are sold in your area (Walmart, drugstores, etc.). This eyeliner is available in six shades: Onyx (10), Cinnabar (20), Pewter (30), Sapphire (40), Espresso (60), and Jade (90). The tube contains 0.01 oz or 280 mg of product.

I have mine in Espresso (60), but my sister-in-law had Cinnabar (20) which I used on her for my wedding this summer.

These eyeliners are not in the traditional 'pencil' form, but rather are retractable pencils that do not require sharpening. As soon as you need more, you twist the tube to expose more or less of the product.

Maybelline claims that this is a "smudge-proof, stay-put, waterproof eyeliner."

The packaging is simple, but functional. I have had no issues with the mechanism of the pencil breaking so that I cannot twist up or retract the eyeliner. The cap slides easily over the top of the tube, and clicks shut to keep the product hygienic and safe from damage.

Espresso is a very pigmented cool dark brown, almost bordering a charcoal-ish black. It is a matte brown - there is no shimmer or glitter in it. When blended out, the eyeliner looks a lot more brown, and slightly warmer in tone. Cinnabar (not shown here) is a warm cinnamon brown (more on the red/copper side of brown).

On the left, Maybelline New York Unstoppable Eyeliner in Espresso (60). On the right, the eyeliner blended out with my finger

The eyeliner glides on fairly easily - the product is somewhat more waxy in consistency, and so the product does apply more smoothly having been warmed up on the back of one's hand first. I've found that the longer one has the product, the more dry it becomes, and the harder it is to apply without having the eyeliner skip across the skin instead of gliding smoothly.

This eyeliner is indeed a "stay put" eyeliner. It does not rub or smudge off (or at least not easily) after it sets. This eyeliner sets fairly quickly, so if you want to smudge it out, it's best to do it immediately after you apply it. Once set, however, this eyeliner does not budge. It will fade a little bit if you have the tendency to touch/rub your eyes, or if you cry a lot, or if you've been out in a rain storm.

This is my every day eyeliner. It is easy to create wings with the liner (even if the end is dull), or to create fullness at the base of the lashes by penciling in a thin line close to the lash roots. This liner is also fairly durable in the waterline. I personally do not use eyeliner on the waterline very often, but the times that I have used this eyeliner, it has held up pretty well - and in some cases, almost better than the famed Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils. The waxy consistency helps the liner to adhere to the waterline and retain its position for a decent amount of time before needing to reapply.

While this liner is incredibly long wearing (especially on the lash line), it is easily removed with makeup remover (I use Cetaphil Gentle Daily Cleanser for Normal to Dry Skin).

I have had one of these eyeliners break on me before. It's not incredibly breakable, there are certainly more soft and easily broken eyeliners out there, but be cautious that if you're not gentle, it will snap. Remember, retractable eyeliners are not as sturdy as pencil eyeliners are.

I LOVE this eyeliner. It has lasted me forever, and I use it every single day. I'm on my third or fourth tube of it since I first purchased it early this year. The only issue I have with it is the tugging that can happen if the product isn't warm(er) when you apply it, but otherwise it's an excellent drugstore find - great for every day, and it definitely won't make your wallet cry.

4 out of 5 stars.
* * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment