Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Night Time Skin Care Routine

So, it's bedtime, and I know that I really needed to upload a post - so I figured, why not share my night time skin care routine with you guys!?

I love reading other people's skin care routines, whether morning or night, to get an idea of what products they love, how they use them, etc.

My skin care routine at night is fairly quick and simple, as I'm not really looking for elaborate, life-changing results in the five minutes I want it to take at night for me to get in and out of the bathroom...

First of all, I must remove my makeup and cleanse my skin. This step is super easy for me, as it involves only one product: Cetaphil Gentle Daily Skin Cleanser (for normal to dry skin). With a wet wash cloth, I use one pump of product per eye, applying the cleanser to the wet rag, and then gently wiping my eye area to remove all of the makeup. I repeat this step for my other eye, taking another pump of product and cleaning off the area. If I've used foundation or bronzer/blush, I take a third pump and dot it on my forehead, each cheek, chin and nose, and then begin gently scrubbing off the makeup. It does not require "scrubbing," but gentle circular motions will easily take off almost any kind of makeup. For those days when I'm feeling extra generous, I will repeat this last step once more, focusing on those areas that are harder to remove makeup from (around the nose, under the eyes, along the hairline, etc.)

Secondly, I use a toner to remove any excess makeup and re-hydrate my skin. My all-time favorite toner is the Alba Botanica Hawaiian Hibiscus Facial Toner. I take one cotton pad (NOT a cotton ball... ugh, I despise those things...) and soak it with some of the toner. I apply this in circular motions all over my face, avoiding the eye/undereye area. This toner is very good at removing any excess makeup left behind by the makeup remover/cleanser step. It also rehydrates the skin, leaving it feeling soft and smooth. After using this product, I can instantly see an improvement in the tone and texture of my skin. I love the way it makes my skin feel!

Third, I moisturize. After the toner is finished drying (I'll usually brush my teeth between the second and third steps...), I apply my moisturizer, concentrating the product around the center of my face and working the product outwards. I use moisturizer very sparingly; about a pea-sized dollop is all I need to cover my face with a thin layer of product. My favorite moistruizer of the moment is Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (for normal to dry skin). I apply the remnants of the lotion on my forehead after concentrating the majority of the product all over my cheeks, nose, chin, eyelids and undereye area. My forehead tends to be the most oily spot of my whole face, so it needs the least product. For those places I am extra dry, I will take a little bit extra moisturizer and concentrate it where needed.

Lastly, I apply spot treatment to any acne or to prevent future breakouts. Since my skin overall is fairly oily, I can get away with this step. Most people will not be able to do this - in this case, they will spot treat any existing blemishes and stop here. For me, I find that my breakouts are hard to pinpoint until they've begun festering. I especially develop this on my cheeks in the form of blackheads. As a preventative measure, and because my skin is very tolerant of this method, I will apply a pea-sized amount of acne spot treatment to each cheek, and then apply a thin layer to my chin, on the areas of my nose that get blackheads, and a pea-sized amount to my forehead. This step helps dry up any forthcoming breakouts, and reduce the inflammation of existing blemishes. My skin does not become overdry because of this, though I do need to exercise more caution in the winter months when my skin is already more dry, and avoid those areas that tend to get flakey more easily. I have been using two spot treatments lately, one with benzoyl peroxide and one with salicylic acid - Clean & Clear Persa Gel 5 and Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment.

Just before I hit the sack, I like to apply a thick coat of Blistex Deep Moisture Renewal balm to my lips.

And that's about it. My skin is relatively happy - very moody, and will switch between dry, normal and oily modes on a regular basis, but I find that this routine has helped diminish the adverse side-effects of this moodiness, and helps control my acne and dryness.

What does your skin routine look like? Do you have a separate daytime and nighttime routine?
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment