Friday, February 17, 2012

Annabelle Smoothliners


Annabelle Smoothliners are available wherever Annabelle cosmetics are sold. I can find them at my local WalMart, Zellers, Superstore, and Shoppers Drug Mart. The Smoothliners retail for approximately $6-$8 CDN, depending on which of these stores you purchase them from. There are currently seven shades available in the permanent collection: BlackBronzeBrownieGunmetalJadeMeteorite and Metal Daze. Each pencil contains 0.04 oz/1.2 g of product.


These are not to be confused with Annabelle's Metallic Kohl eyeliners or Smudgeliners. They're always located very closely together in the displays, so it's very easy to grab the wrong one and head home with it. I've never made this mistake, but I always check and double-check to make sure I've got the right one :)


I have three of the Smoothliners: one in Bronze, another in Brownie, and the last in Urban Jungle, which was a limited edition shade from the Jungle Belle collection of summer 2011.


Top to Bottom: Brownie, Bronze, Urban Jungle
Bronze is a warm bronze shade with copper glitter.


Annabelle Smoothliner in Bronze
Brownie is an intensely pigmented medium matte brown.


Annabelle Smoothliner in Brownie
Urban Jungle is an almost metallic teal, leaning slightly more on the green side of teal than the blue.
Annabelle Smoothliner in Urban Jungle
These eyeliners are not automatic, retractable pencils, but rather, are the 'old-school' pencil eyeliners that one must sharpen with a pencil sharpener. They are regular sized, so you don't need to worry about finding a sharpener with an oversized (jumbo) sharpener. I don't particularly love the sharpening aspect of these pencils, but I can see how this design works a lot better with these creamy pencils to achieve precision in your application. Definitely not a deal breaker.


These pencils are intensely pigmented, waterproof and smudgeproof (after drying/setting). They are incredibly creamy and smooth. Like these things will literally melt onto your skin at first touch...They glide effortlessly on the skin without tugging or pulling. After applying them, they blend super easily. I find that sometimes it's easy to get a little heavy handed though and blend Bronze (almost) right off your skin - so some caution must be exercised in the smudging department. Brownie blends the best of the three... and stays incredibly pigmented after blending... that's why I love it.


Left to Right: Brownie (unblended, blended), Urban Jungle (unblended, blended),
Bronze (unblended, blended)

I have not personally used these liners in the waterline, so I couldn't really speak to their 'waterproof' qualities. Though I do know that they are incredibly long wearing and resistant to tears.


They're very pigmented in the stick, but the color payoff on the skin is amazing. What you see, is quite literally, what you get.


It's very easy to use these as colored bases, by applying them with your finger or brush, or even straight to your eye, and then blending out, to create a beautiful colored base for your eyeshadow looks. I've done this several times and I really enjoy the extra pop of color this method gives me. Depending on how oily your eyelids are, however, you may want to apply a primer (such as Urban Decay's Primer Potion) underneath before smoothing this liner across your lids. While they do claim to be waterproof and smudgeproof, this liner may not be able to withstand some people's oily eyelids.


I find these to be a very comparable dupe to Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencils. They're an affordable alternative to the $20 pencils by Urban Decay. So if you're looking for something with a similar texture, pigmentation, and wear, you may want to check these out before investing in the more expensive high-end alternative.


I love these pencils and want to get more. I only wish they had a larger color selection available. In the meantime, I always keep my eyes open for the new collection displays - just in case they release another limited edition Smoothliner. 


My favorite is Urban Jungle, and I cringe when I think about the day when my beloved teal pencil will be no more... However, Brownie is my favorite 'everyday' liner because it's matte and brown. It goes with every look and is pigmented to show up even over top of darker brown smokey looks.


My only wish is that these were available in more colors. Wouldn't it be lovely if they came out with a matte white!? A creamy nude shade!? A brilliant purple!? Oh the possibilities, Annabelle.


Definitely 5 out of 5 stars.
* * * * *


What colors have you tried from the Annabelle Smoothliners? Do you have any favorites??

No comments:

Post a Comment