Wednesday, February 22, 2012

NOTD: China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy

I purchased this 14 mL (0.5 fl oz) bottle from my local Chatters salon for $6.99 CDN (before GST).


China Glaze's Flip Flop Fantasy released with the Poolside Collection in summer 2010.


Base: Sally Hansen Advanced Hard as Nails Natural  (1 coat)
Color: China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy (4 coats)
Top Coat: Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat (1 coat)
The neon quality of this polish isn't really evident here...
Flip Flop Fantasy is a neon coral pink shade. Very summer appropriate. The consistency of this polish leaves a little to be desired. It's thin, but it's thick...It's very pigmented, but it goes on somewhat streaky and patchy, and it definitely takes a good 3 strategic coats to get an even finish. It has a semi-matte finish - making it necessary to use a glossy topcoat if you love gettin' your shine on.


Against my very yellow tank top.
Whoa, neon much?
Flash on a white door.
No flash, in a darkened room.
In some lights, after application, this polish doesn't give a completely smooth and polished finished look. The streakiness is very evident in some lights as opposed to others. Fortunately (at least to me), under most lights the brilliance of the neon-ness camoflauges the imperfections to the naked eye. This is one of those manicures you don't want to be waving directly in someone's face.


I have such a love/hate relationship with this polish. My sister and I got manicures last summer (pre-wedding) and we both got this color. And oh my goodness, was it outrageous (in a good way!) I loved the bright neon coral pink and how it just seemed to glow on my fingernails. At the same time, I despised the streaky application.


I didn't realize that Flip Flop Fantasy was still for purchase until yesterday, when I happened upon it at my local salon. The $7 price tag was exceptionally ideal as well, so I snatched it up. I haven't found any other polish that rivals this one in color. It's simply too beautiful to pass up. Especially for summer.


I have yet to perfect my technique with this color. Perhaps certain base coats would help the application go more smoothly, thus leaving me with a less blotchy and streaky finished product.


All-in-all, the application of this polish is not enough to stop me from wearing it. Especially today. I just feel in a 'summer' mood... and nothing is going to dampen my spirit.


I'd have to say that this is one of my favorite nail polishes of all time... and I know that's saying something considered the gripes I have with it :) But sometimes you can't help it...


Overall, I give this polish 4 out of 5 stars. If not for the less-than-perfect finish, this would've received 5 stars...
* * * *


Have you guys tried this polish? What do you think? Have you found any comparable dupes? Let me know in the comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment