Monday, February 13, 2012

Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer



The Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer retails for anywhere between $5 and $8 CDN. It can be purchased anywhere Rimmel cosmetics are sold. I mainly purchase them from WalMart, Shoppers Drug Mart, and Zellers. This concealer comes in a 0.23 fl oz (7 mL) tube. They're available in three shades: 010 Ivory030 Classic Beige, and Soft Beige.






Rimmel markets this product as a 2 in 1 concealer and highlighter for concealing darkness under the eyes as well as brightening and illuminating it. It's supposed to be "skin adapting" while letting skin breathe via it's oxygen complex. WalMart.ca elaborates: "Match Perfection Concealer gives skin a truer, fresher color match and blends seamlessly into skin for undetectable coverage that goes on smooth and lasts all day. [It] incorporates the latest breakthroughs in skin science with a unique trio of skin tone matching complexes: Smart Tone technology mimics skin's natural texture and tone for a match that covers imperfections with traceless blendability; Oxygen Complex helps skin breathe so color stays truer, longer; and Blue Sapphire Complex fights yellow undertones to prevent skin from looking sallow." *Phewf!*


This product is marketed in a squeeze tube with an application brush at the end. In order to obtain product, one must squeeze the tube (gently, mind you!) to get some product to come out through the tip of the brush. You can then use the brush tip to apply the concealer wherever needed on your face. This design is incredibly practical, because it allows you to get every last drop out of the tube before throwing it out. At the same time, this design can also be somewhat wasteful as there's no way to get the product back in the tube if you happen to get a little heavy handed in your dispensing of the concealer.


The concealer is of a creamy liquid consistency. Not watery, but definitely not too thick. A little bit of this product will go a long way, but it is buildable in terms of coverage.



It is incredibly pigmented. I use the shade Ivory, and I find that this shade matches my skin perfectly. I have used the same shade year-round, and I haven't needed to find anything darker or lighter, as my skin tone deepens or lightens with the seasons. I'd say as far as the "Smart Tone technology" goes - it works. This always seems to match my skin tone perfectly, never looking too orange, dark, light, yellow, etc. In the swatches shown, however, this concealer looks more peachy-toned. Normally, that wouldn't be what I'd be looking for, but in the case of undereye circles - peach tones cancel out the blue/purple of undereye circles, so this always works really well for me.


Right: Full application.
Middle: Semi-blended.
Left: Blended in all the way.




I can't speak to whether or not it's a function of the so-called "Blue Sapphire Complex" but this concealer definitely does not yellow on my skin as some other concealers tend to as a result of oxidisation, which I really appreciate.


This concealer, while being incredibly creamy and pigmented, also works really well as a foundation. Yes, you heard me right. On some occasions, I've used this product all over my face and blended it in as a foundation. This may seem a little extreme, maybe even a little wacky, but it works. It's pigmented enough to give you decent coverage, while creamy enough to blend seamlessly into the skin for a beautiful finished product. You can be assured that it doesn't yellow throughout the day, and it definitely brightens your skin.


With normal concealers, I would never recommend doubling up as a foundation - however, because of the lightweight, pigmented, blendable nature that is the Rimmel Match Perfection concealer, I can, with all honesty, say that - if you're daring, I'd totally give it a chance.


For the undereye area and blemishes, I usually apply this concealer (initially) with the brush tip applicator, and then use my fingers or the Quo Precision Foundation brush to blend it out. When I use this as foundation, I place a few swipes of the product on my cheeks, nose, forehead and chin, and then use either my Quo Precision Foundation brush or my ELF Studio Powder brush to blend and buff into the skin.


This is, by far, one of the best concealers I've tried to date. Especially for the undereye area and blemishes. It's incredibly pigmented, blends like a dream, but is thick enough to actually give you some coverage without blending completely off your face. Because it's a liquid, it doesn't cling as noticeably to dry patches on the face, which makes it infinitely more versatile. It has a very respectable longevity, or wear time, on the skin, especially after setting with a powder product.


Overall, I'd definitely encourage people to try this concealer out. It's a very affordable product to try out - and if you find yourself not really liking it, you're not out that much money for trying it.


4 out of 5 stars.
* * * *


What's your favorite concealer??

No comments:

Post a Comment