Thursday, March 1, 2012

MAC Lip Pencil in Dervish



I purchased this from my local MAC store, but it can also be purchased from MAC counters and 
www.maccosmetics.com. This 1.45 g/0.05 US oz pencil cost me about $12-$13 CDN, though I see that now they're retailing for $14 US a pop, so it must have gone up here in Canada too.




MAC describes their lip pencils as "for shaping, lining or filling in the lip. Lip Pencils have a smooth, creamy texture that is perfect for lining the lips or filling them in. They are long-lasting and available in a wide selection of colours that each work well with many different lipstick shades." These pencils are not automatic, meaning that they must be sharpened as they are used. 


I purchased Dervish for my wedding makeup, as recommended by the makeup artist at MAC. On my wedding day, I used Dervish around the lip line, and in the corners, with a bit of NYX's Lipliner Pencil in 048 Rose in the center of my lips. It gave a beautiful look that lasted most of the day (until supper at least), and my hubby wasn't covered in unwanted gobs of lipstick or lipgloss. Win-win! 


Dervish is described as a "pinky mauve." This color is like, my-lipcolor-but-better; it's just a smidge darker than my natural lipcolor. Dervish seems to have a slightly golden metallic sheen underneath the color. It's not shimmery or glittery, it's just got a golden undertone, that is incredibly gorgeous.



With flash.
No flash.
This pencil is incredible. It's very long wearing and very pigmented, considering that it's just your 'typical' or average lip pencil.


With flash.
This pencil does take a little bit of warming up before it glides smoothly and evenly across my lips. I often find that the first few strokes I do, I must go over because they aren't as pigmented as the rest of my lip. Sometimes I'll fill in my entire lip with the pencil, and I really love how the color appears to even out my lips, without looking like I've globbed on a lot of lipstick or lipgloss.


I find that this pencil can be somewhat drying with time, however. Since it isn't an exceptionally moisturizing product in-and-of itself, I usually apply a layer of chapstick, either before or after applying, just to keep my lips feeling hydrated and moist.


Overall, I really enjoy this pencil. I'm not really fond of the fact that I need to pack a sharpener with me in case my lip pencil starts to get dull, but it's a really great color and product. It would have to be a pretty extraordinary color for me to pay $12-$13 for another one of MAC's lip pencils, but I would make an exception just because of the quality.


4 out of 5 stars.
* * * *


What's your favorite lip liner??

No comments:

Post a Comment