Friday, March 9, 2012

Maybelline SuperStay 24-Hour Concealer


I can't remember where I purchased this, but it would've been from a store that sells Maybelline Cosmetics. It retails for approximately $5-$7 CDN. There are 5 shades available: Ivory (10), Cream (20), Light (30), Medium Beige (40)and Deep Beige (50). I have the lightest shade in Ivory (10). One tube contains 0.18 fl oz (5.5 mL) of product.




I was first intrigued to try this concealer after hearing Pinkiecharm rave about how much she loved the SuperStay foundation from Maybelline. I knew that I wouldn't be able to find a match in the foundation (I'm too pale and my skin tone is neutral-based), but I figured I'd give the concealer a try.



According to Maybelline.ca, this is supposed to be a 24-hour wearing, no-transferring type of concealer. It claims to "provide natural-looking coverage that lasts all day, [while] concealing imperfections, flaws, undereye darkness and circles." It is oil-free, non-comedogenic, dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested, and fragrance free.


The packaging really isn't anything special. A clear tube with the company name and product name forms the base, with a solid white twist-on handle. The applicator is a stiff doe-foot on a short wand. The doe-foot is not very plush, so it applies the concealer very specifically and deliberately, while not soaking up a lot of product that becomes wasted.





The concealer itself (or at least this shade) is VERY pale. When I first apply this to my skin, it looks virtually white with a slight peachy/pink tinge. The concealer is very thin in consistency, not quite watery, but a little bit does go a long way.


No flash, natural light.
Left: unblended swatch, Right: blended swatch.
With flash.
Left: unblended swatch, Right: blended swatch.
It is INTENSELY pigmented, but it spreads evenly and is definitely somewhat buildable. This concealer is pretty heavy duty overall. It's one of the most pigmented concealers I own.


When working with this concealer, you have to work quickly. It dries INSANELY fast. I recommend only working on one spot/eye at a time - apply and blend out quickly. Then move on to the next trouble area. In addition, this product goes from a liquid to powder consistency - so after it dries you're left with a very powdery-matte finish, which does not budge. This concealer almost melds in with your skin, to create a very camoflauged finish. I don't recommend powdering the concealer after you're done blending, as this can give too powdery of a finish, and can look cake-y.


I find myself in a love-hate relationship with this concealer. While it is insanely pigmented, and I love the way it dries quickly to a non-sticky/non-tacky finish, I do not love how the powder-ish finish clings to any dry or even patches on my skin, thereby emphasizing them times ten. After application, it is nearly impossible to rectify this cakey appearance without removing the concealer completely and starting from scratch. 


This concealer is very unforgiving around dry patches. My undereye area is often on the drier-side of normal, and this product clings to every little flake and makes it incredibly obvious. I find that this concealer (no worse than normal) does settle into my fine undereye lines too. On my face, it's the same story - any blemishes or areas around my nose that show even the slightest hint of dryness suffer exaggerated attention from the concealer.


One thing that is for certain - this concealer does not budge. It lasts virtually all day (not 24-hours like Maybelline claims...) without significant fading or transferring. Huge thumbs up, there!


I love this concealer in that the color is pretty much perfect for me - it is incredibly light. It's not really too pink, or too yellow, or too orange - it's just right. It does have a more pink/peach-ish tinge, but that's really what helps conceal my dark circles. Like I said earlier, Ivory (10) applies practically white on my skin, which is ideal. It really brightens my undereye area, but also covers my darkness too. It's borderline-too-light for my facial blemishes, however, but if I apply foundation over top of the concealer, this fixes the problem almost instantaneously. It is also the perfect 'winter' concealer for me... as soon as my skin starts getting some sun, however, this one finds its way back into my drawer.


Overall, this concealer is okay. I wish my skin wasn't so dry in certain places so I could use this more readily. I'm also thinking that if all of the shades run lighter, this might only be suitable for undereye concealing. And if you have dry skin, by no means should you pick this up... this will be disastrous for you. However, my oily-skinned compadres, this might be a really nice alternative for you :) If you're looking for a long-wearing, transfer-resistant concealer - this may be what you've been looking for...


3 out of 5 stars.
* * * 


What is your favorite undereye concealer?

No comments:

Post a Comment