Saturday, March 3, 2012

Tarte Mineral Bronzer in Park Avenue Princess

I got a mini size of the Tarte Mineral Bronzer in Park Avenue Princess alongside Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Blush in Dollface in a High Performance Naturals kit at Sephora in summer 2011. It cost me about $30 CDN, though I don't recall the exact cost. This mini bronzer contains 3.20 g (0.11 oz) of product, but the full-size product (available from Sephora) contains 0.32 oz. Here's a blog post by My Kiss 'n Makeup about this little kit, if you're interested.


The packaging is almost identical to the full size bronzer, just in mini form. The tiny version does not have a mirror inside, and the packaging feels more flimsy, in my opinion, than the full-size version does. The compact is plastic, with a quilted, bronze textile on the lid. The product information is located on a sticker on the bottom of the compact.





According to Sephora.com, this bronzer is "whisper light... containing Skinvigorating ingredients like vitamins A and E, which act as antioxidants to fight free radical damage and mineral pigments that are known for their soothing and softening properties. Dermatologist tested." This bronzer is free of oil, talc, synthetic fragrance, parabens, sulfates, petrochemicals, and phthalates.



With flash.
Park Avenue Princess is described by Sephora as being a "highly pearled golden tan." I would agree 100%. In the pan, this bronzer looks incredibly sparkly - borderline disco-ball face. On the skin, however, it comes off as 'glowy,' which I can only assume is the 'highly pearled' aspect of the bronzer as described by our friends at Sephora.


With flash.
Left: swatch, Right: swatch blended in
No flash, natural light.
Left: swatch, Right: swatch blended in
It is definitely a golden tan in every sense of the phrase, which is why I was worried that it wouldn't look fantastic on my skin tone. Because I'm a neutral-undertoned-albino, I can't do oranges, yellows, or browns... I can just do neutral-ish tans, which basically don't exist. This gives me a really healthy glow though... it makes my skin look sun-kissed and alive, without looking like I just gobbed on oodles of orange-y sparkles.


I use this powder with a larger brush around the outside and on the high points of my face. In fact, I like using my ELF Studio Powder brush with this powder... it applies and blends products so well, that it really gives a fantastic 'general' glow, instead of a streak of gold down the side of my face. Park Avenue Princess gives the illusion that I've been out in the sun getting some vitamin D, when really - I haven't seen the sun in quite some time, haha. It's not too shimmery, but it's about as far as I'll go on the shimmer spectrum. Too much shimmer can go bad quite quickly on my skin texture and tone... but this is okay.


I don't know that I'd describe the powder itself as "whisper light," but it is incredibly light-weight on my skin, and blends really easily. It's hard to blend 'too much,' so you don't end up blending this right off your face, which is a nice feature. It's very smooth and doesn't apply patchy or cakey... though the swatch in the picture below appears a bit powdery... so long as you tap off your brush after dipping it in the powder, you won't have that problem on your face.


With flash.
Left: swatch, Right: swatch blended in 
The lasting power of this bronzer is pretty amazing. I don't notice it moving or fading nearly as quickly as some other powders I have do - which I really love.


As far as the 'healthy' benefits of this powder goes, I really can't say whether or not my skin feels more or less invigorated or conditioned. It feels about the same, really... 


Lately, I've really been enjoying it, since winter has sucked the life out of my skin - and I look sickly all the time. I like being glowy... it's a good look to rock. I don't know that I'd spend the $38 CDN for the full-size replacement when I run out... I can just as easily pop in at my MAC store and pick up a cheaper bronzer there... but while it lasts, I'm really impressed.


4 out of 5 stars.
* * * *


What's your favorite bronzer?? Do you prefer shimmery or matte face powders?

No comments:

Post a Comment