Friday, March 30, 2012

Depotting your NYX Trio Eyeshadows

Hola my beauty lovin' babes!


This blog post is going to be up a little late today because it's based on a project I've been working all morning on.


I received my first Z-palette from Makeup Geek in the mail today! I purchased a large Z-palette in leopard print (ooh la la!) I was thoroughly impressed with my first shipment from makeupgeek.com. I placed my order on March 19th, and received the shipping confirmation on March 20th. My package showed up on March 30th, via First Class Mail International Parcel. It was carefully packed in a cardboard box filled with pink packing peanuts - the palette was individually wrapped in a protective plastic bag, and further wrapped in bubble wrap. Included were 20 metal adhesive disks to adhere to the bottom of your depotted shadows.


I purchased this palette with a depotting spree in mind. I was tired of keeping my NYX trios hidden in the back of a drawer. I wanted them to be in a more convenient and accessible format so that I would actually use them. I'd watched a few different videos on how to depot eyeshadows, with and without heat. I determined that the heat method would be best suited for me. So I'm going to walk you guys through my journey!! Buckle yourselves in for a fun Friday ride!


What you need:
- A towel
- A paring knife
- Wax paper
- Rubbing alcohol
- Q-tips, cotton pads or balls
- A straightener/flat iron
- Magnets
- Labels
- Pen
- Empty palette


Here are a couple of video recommendations if you're looking into depotting your own eyeshadows.
Hello Vanilla Snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Q2sheAFI
EnKore Makeup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hswbVxijJ1A
FrmHeadtoToe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnHzR0Un30I

I started by extracting the plastic lining out of the trios. You have to (carefully) wedge a paring knife into the corner, and pop the four clasps inside. If you're gentle and patient, you won't have a problem and the tray will come out with a little persistence and no nicked shadows.






After I had repeated this step on all of my trios, I heated up my straightener to 420 degrees. 


These definitely weren't all of my trios - I was about halfway done here :)


I folded a single sheet of wax paper in half, and gently placed it on the bottom plate. I set the eyeshadow tray on the hot plate (on top of the wax paper) and let it sit there for about a minute. I would check it periodically to make sure it wasn't over-melting, burning, or attaching itself to the wax paper. Sometimes it would take more or less time - the key is to keep checking. 





When you can see a slight change in the bottom of the tray (sweating of the plastic, buckling, etc.) you know it's ready. Turn the tray bottom-side-up overtop of a towel. Use the knife to gently push on the back of the plastic to push through the soft plastic and push the eyeshadow pan out of the case. 






Let it fall upside down on top of the towel and let it sit for a while to cool down - trust me, these things are HOT.




After the pans cool down, you will need rubbing alcohol and Q-tips and/or cotton pads or balls. Dip them into the rubbing alcohol and starting working at the glue on the back of the pans. Rub in circular motions to gently lift and work the glue off the back. This is the most time-consuming part of the entire process. You've been warned!!!




Next you need to adhere magnets and label your eyeshadows. Labelling your eyeshadows is key. You don't want to forget which is which, so after adhering the magnets, you can apply a label with the eyeshadow name attached on the very bottom. Mine don't have labels on the bottom of them yet, but I have a list of where each shadow is in my palette and what their names are, so I don't have pictures of this step.


And voila! Here's the finished product!!




And that's all there is to it. I apologize that the picture quality is less than stellar. I had to take these pictures with my (new) phone, and the quality isn't as great as my last phone... But, que sera sera. Some crappy pictures are better than no pictures, eh? :)


Anyways, I hope everyone enjoyed! I'm looking forward to using my new palette, and you can bet your bottom dollar a review on my new Z-palette will be coming soon!!


In the meantime, have a great weekend!!
xoxo


Have any of you tried the Z-palettes? What do you think of them?

8 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love how it looks all together in the z palette!! I did that but with my wet n wild trio's and love them all together. So much easier! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I'm considering buying a second palette for my other shadows, like Wet N' Wild and Annabelle. And so far, I'm really loving the quality of the Z-palette. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the comment!

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial! You've reminded me that I have a few MAC ones to depot lol! I should do it, so I can get me a free lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Tracy! Good luck in your own depotting adventures!!

      Delete
  4. I will definitely be doing this soon with all my palettes, this seems easy enough to do myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is easy - just time consuming, but totally worth it! Let me know how it works out for you!!! :)

      Delete